Friday, August 28, 2009

"$parks'a flyin"!



Before I head out to the ol' man cave to finish welding the last of 12 carts, I must wait for my man-child to fetch some new brake pads for his new/used Honda, and then come home. You know he'll want to use my tools, and then want my help. That's OK, son, I want you to carry those big heavy boxes downstairs to the basement. But the real reason I'm waiting for him is so HE can operate the camera and maybe get a pretty picture of some "sparks'a flyin"!

This won't be the last opportunity for pictures, but I want some spark pictures with my first article because this is about the effort you make to reach your goals. The steps you take to insure your best results.

My first attempt at spark pictures failed big time!, you can't always do every thing yourself. Strike and float a pretty "one handed" bead, and shoot a decent photo with the other hand, while looking through the ol' Speed Glass welding helmet!
hmm... how do I get around that 1/10 of a second timing thing in the helmet? Is the auto flash even visible against the arc flash? Turn it off for longer exposure? hmm... I'll figure it out later.

Back to the project. in the photo today is the fixture I made to fit out side the leg of the cart because of the inside radius. I found two pieces of straight metal about a foot long, and lap welded them together to serve as an alignment guide. Two clamps to the leg ensure the leg extension remains in place when you clamp it secure. Then 3 good, solid tacks on the inside at the edges and in the corner will allow you to move on to the next leg, and so on... when all 4 legs are extended double check your diagonal measurements for square. Any thing within an inch is cool at this point, any thing more than that may be pulled in to the bottom when it is reattached. this is a simple solution to this project, more examples later.
blog comments powered by Disqus