Thursday, November 5, 2009

Welder World?

I gotta tell ya about a pretty cool welding website that I found late last night. I was twittering my usual political views and got on the subject of a local corporation up in Oshkosh, WI who got a big government contract for building a new and improved version of a military vehicle used for transporting troops in a combat zone.
Now I'm pretty sure everyone knows that with a government contract come government standards in the process and the pay standards. The US government mandates pay standards to a union scale, but what happens when the contracting company farms out work? The company that wins the bid for the work is not mentioned in the government contract, therefore they are not tied to the pay standards, only the quality standards.
What this means to an unemployed welder with 25 years of experience like myself is that I get a call from a temp agency who has one of my resumes on file, calls me and asks if I am interested in working a job that should pay union scale wages for a whole lot less and with out any benefits either. I've worked for Oshkosh truck sub-contractors before, and it is not for the novice welder, especially when you consider our soldiers lives depend on your skills as a welder to help protect them on the battlefield. It seems to me this practice is purely profit driven.
A short time later I looked at my email, and found a follower's message that led me to Welder World.com at this link, http://welderworld.com/
As I explored the site reading a few articles I decided to share this site with my readers as well. Why? Because there is tons of good information here.
I am currently working with stainless steal on one of my jobs and I found a tips article about the use of heat sinks to help prevent the warpage that is often encountered when working with stainless steel. Good information guys.
So I would suggest that, if you have questions about the processes of welding you take a short visit to Welder World.com.

blog comments powered by Disqus