Monday, September 7, 2009

To recycle or not?




The original table stood 32" tall. The customer requests a 39" table height. The legs of the table must be lengthened by 10" to allow for the 1 & 1/2" thickness of the lower pan and table top. 10" - 3" = 7" / 39" - 32" = 7"

The alignment guide above, insures the leg extension doesn't lean like the tower of pizza when you tack it in place.









With all four legs lengthened, clamp at 1 &1/2" down from the end of the leg for stops to support the lower pan of the table.

Make sure to align the swivel casters with the handle end of the table before welding. I won't use a level on this project because the floor is sloped in this garage. I measured from the top of the table to the bottom of the lower pan while it is up side down, knowing the casters are 6"





Double check the ol' tape measure, just to make sure something didn't move on me! hmm... lookin' good enough to burn!




There you have it, a little bit of degrease'r soap with the pressure wash and paint with primer. The steel used for the 10" length came from this very same project. Some of the tables had the same size angle iron in the add on roller saddles. In this case one table provided enough angle iron to modify 8 tables. With a little skill and technique you can make the legs appear to be seamless, as I did with a little bit of 36 grit fiber back pads on the 4 1/2" Milwaukee grinder before welding the bottom in place.

I figure at roughly $27.00 for a 20 ft. length, for new stock, this project will come in three sticks in my favor just in 3/16" 1&1/2" angle alone. Something like that just fuels my little eco-flames to think that over the course of 14 tables, 76 feet of steel didn't have to go to the landfill. My customer details a simple plan during the consultation and any questions are best handled with a phone call to the project coordinator, and we're good to go.

In recycling these tables I will also yield plenty of 3" x 3" angle, always handy in 4' lengths, 4"x4" square tube, heavy wall perfect for that body lift on my man-child's 4x4 monster mudd'r project, and a couple of ice cream buckets of nuts and bolts to be sorted at a later date. I guarantee someone in the neighbor hood will have a use for when the hardware store is closed on Sundays.

In an upcoming blog I'll show you the paint cart turned Band saw bench, another point of this project that I needed to finish this last weekend. I will need it for the next project, a stainless steel cart that I designed and was rewarded with an order for six more.

Take a good look around you when you encounter a problem, A wise man once told me, the answer is always within 25 feet of where you're standing. This job was an easy way to earn a dollar or two from the ol' man cave.
blog comments powered by Disqus