Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Month, New Projects

A couple of weeks ago this mock up was just small enough to fit on my ol' weld table. Just barely! The cart is designed to carry an assemblythat rests on top of the 4" X 4" blocks which were fitted with wooden blocks so the knife assembly would not ride metel on metel and risk dings in the mounting surfaces.

This and another airboard cart plus that table in the back ground have used my production time over the last 2 weeks

Looking back it was worth the effort to move this table up to the garage while the boys are mechanicing in my shed and now that this batch of jobs is complete I can move on to that S - 10 pick up box.



Yup its lookin' like the wheel well has been stretched and some work on the underside will be required. You know, putty knife to the flacky paint, hammer & chisel to chase the steel back to close the pick axe holes! hmm...?

So,... let me tell ya where I stand.

I now have the box flipped up-side down on a table in the garage, so I can be near the phone while I'm working on it, also I can easily access the front of the box which also was streched out of shape with the axe. I may have to block it up a bit higher for working comfort, so I can sit on a short stool and reach under with a dolly block as needed.
After I chase the curled steel back near the original shape, I will work with hammer & dolly to shrink some of the excess out of the lower radius near the floor of the bed.
When I can close the torn metel I will first tack the seam, place some copper behind it, & then weld solid. I plan to have a deep bucket of cold water handy to cool the thin steel like you would with Stainless Steel. Welding in short stiches and long spacing will also help to keep warpage to a minimum.

I will be snappin' a few more pics with this project to show you some more handy hillbilly how - to in upcoming posts. thanks for stoppin by.

Har - V - Hillbilly


blog comments powered by Disqus