Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Phoenix, Make it 1 Inch Bigger, the prelude

Here at the hillbilly handyman outpost we dreamed of dong jobs like this for years while we stood at our production machines and thought,
"I can do that!"

The workers call this machine the Phoenix, and I had the privelege of stretching it 1 inch this week.

My goal is to document some of the ins and outs of the job, not only to impress any potential employers out there , but because I love working my craft and expanding my skills.

That includes the proffessional ones too. Up until now the projects for this company were pretty small, something you can do at home if you have the basic tools and some skill.

This machine lifts a pallet in metered increments so the horizontal push bar can move stacks of labels called "logs" across an airboard and onto a conveyer located on the left side of the machine, where they will be cut into bundles.

Man this is a very ergonomic machine! Look at the work that is automated. It eliminates all the bending and picking up.

The head of the maintence dept. told me his specialy built machine has a problem. It was the prototype of the design.


Unfortunately operators shift the loads on the pallets and on occassion an expensive "airboard get broken. He tells me, "we can't be breaking $10,000.00 worth every year!"

These 3 pictures are just to valadate my boasting on twitter, you know. A little before , during , and after for my followers who whant to know a little more.
blog comments powered by Disqus